Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Book Review: Spirit of a Lone Horse by Ani Manjikian

(Originally Published by Lavern Winters)

I read Spirit of the Lone Horse at the request of my daughter, Jen Winters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had no idea that it was supposed to be a science fiction story.  In the beginning of the book events seemed pretty normal. The story was a military type featuring a mounted band. The main character was afraid of horses because of an incident many years prior to the setting of the story. The author did a wonderful job portraying how the MC works to overcome her fear to ride horses again.
I liked the characters and the relationships between them. Twins were prominent and the author did a fine job of creating special bonds between them as you would expect of twins. There was a mystery that had to be solved and I was intrigued. It captured my interest and I had to know who and why because do I like a good mystery.
After a few chapters the book took an unexpected twist that threw it into the science fiction genre and I was delighted. I have always liked science fiction from the my youth when I read H.G. Wells and Jules Verne. The story isn’t your typical science fiction, though there are aliens and a space ship and time travel. For this book the aliens do not play a significant role in the mystery. However there are hints of their involvement in the lives of the earthly characters that will certainly make for some good reading in future volumes of this series.
Lone Horse coverOverall I found the characters were well developed throughout the book and relationships were realistic, no shallow characters here.  The story was engaging and entertaining. I enjoyed this read and would recommend Spirit of the Lone Horse by Ani Minjikian to anyone who likes a good mystery mixed with action and science fiction.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment